So yesterday we all piled in the car and went school to school to school to get teacher assignments, class schedules etc. We started at the primary school where the youngest 3 will be going and had a brief meeting with the principal. Upon our arrival Ben went straight to hyper-mode. I've noticed that when put in situations where things are unfamiliar, or where there are a lot of people, he'll revert straight back to being very loud, very whiny, and very busy. He was all but climbing the walls in the Principals office ... into everything, touching stuff that he shouldn't have been and in general doing a stellar job of ignoring my warnings to stop. I tried to explain to the Principal that he does this only in unfamiliar situations ... this is how I believe he got attention at the orphanage competing with 23 other kids ... and he knows it as a way to stand out in any crowd and get noticed. I told her he's not actually like this at home, and for as sweetly as that woman smiled at me and nodded, her brain was clearly thinking "Yeah, right!". I'm sure she's wondering what they've gotten themselves into.
We had a wee chat when we got home about school in general, and how he has to use his manners and do as "teacher" asks. "I will, Mum", he tells me seriously.
I guess we'll see. Next week is going to be interesting. He's already a bundle of nervous excitement at the prospect of starting school and we still have a week to go.
Adopting from India - The long and winding road....
Making the decision to have a child is momentous. It is to decide forever to have your heart go walking around outside your body. ~Elizabeth Stone
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
1 comment:
This post freaked me out because Andrew is exactly the same way in new situations. And NO ONE believes me when I tell them how calm he is at home!! I have close family member who have yet to see the "real" Andrew, so they have ot take my word that he's not really hyper and getting into everything imaginable at all times. He's been home for over 7 months, but this hyper response is still there and may remain for many years.
Post a Comment