Adopting from India - The long and winding road....

Making the decision to have a child is momentous. It is to decide forever to have your heart go walking around outside your body. ~Elizabeth Stone

Thursday, July 20, 2006

Ok, we have an update ..... kinda.

The new judge was appointed at the start of July, and told all Orphanage Directors that he wanted to take some time to get acquainted with his new job before he started issuing any adoption approvals. Here we are, three weeks into the month, and he's still not seen or approved any cases. Sooooooo, on Monday, Vijay and all the other orphanage directors are going to petition the High Court on behalf of all of their adoption cases. The High Court will then force the judge into hearing all of the adoption cases within a set period of time. The mystery for now though, is just how much time the High Court will give this judge.

This happened just last year too, and there were around 250 kids stranded because of exactly this sort of thing. The first judge didn't think adoptions were a priority, so didn't sign any cases. The next judge disagreed with adoption law, and refused to sign cases until the laws were changed ....The High Court got involved, and gave the judge three weeks to sign all cases (and because there were so many, it actually ended up taking 6wks). I'm really hoping that this time around, the High Court sticks with a relatively small number .... 3 weeks again would be great!

In the meantime, Vijay has said that she is willing to have families come visit their children during this waiting time. I wish I had the money to do this, but we really only have enough for one trip over. The other dilemma that I have is I know that there's no way I could meet you, and then leave you in India to return to the USA and wait for all of the legal stuff to be completed. If we don't get good news within the next couple of weeks though, its something that we'll definitely consider. I just feel its so important that once you meet us, you are able to see that you will be with us forever. I don't want to you to ever equate me with someone more who may abandon you in your life, and I worry that a visit may do that. Its a decision we'll make once we have a better idea of just what the wait is going to look like.

I emailed Lisa back and asked her if you knew about us yet, but I haven't heard back from her today. I was under the impression that you wouldn't know about us until guardianship was granted, but if Vijay is offering to let us come and visit, then I'm thinking there's a chance you may know already. I asked Lisa that if you did know, would it be ok to send you some photo's and letters and pictures from your sisters. Hopefully I'll hear back from her within the next couple of days.

Well baby boy, your Mum is buggered today. A long day at work, and an even longer one tomorrow as we have a big diamond show on. I'm looking forward to having the weekend off to play in the pool with your sisters. Hopefully next week will bring us good news, and a more definite timeframe. I got asked at work today by four different people if we had you here with us yet, and I told them soon .... very very soon. There are just so many people counting down until the day that you're here with us forever.

I love you bunches, sweet boy!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Oh, I'm so glad I found you! I read your post on Big Mama's site yesterday and was delighted to hear you, too, are adopting from India. We are in an earlier stage of an Indian adoption and it feels a little lonely....so many families adopting from China and Eastern Europe but not South Asia.
My blog URL is changing so you may not be able to get in but try at:
greatthomsonadventure.squarespace.com
OR
rothesaytorajasthan.squarespace.com
Heather

Anonymous said...

Okay, call me dumb but I can't figure out how to contact you by email. Sorry for doing all this by blog post. Am I missing something? is your email on your blog?
My email is: thenoisycricket@nb.aibn.com
I'll be away for 2 days in Montreal but look forward to a more detailed chat when I return.
Heather
PS - Beautiful girls!