I'm off the phone, and I'm still grinning. I got just a minute to talk with Vijay before the conference call really started, and it was wonderful to speak with someone who actually knows you. She told me over and over what a sweet and smart child you are. She told me you do very well in school, and that you are very obedient. Her words were "You only have to tell him once, and there is no question he understands". Hmmmm, maybe you can teach your sisters how to do that! They have been teaching you basic English, and she tells me that you know quite a few words, along with your alphabet and numbers. She said that you ask often when I'm coming for you, and that she reassures you that I'm coming as fast as I can. Because you don't understand the whole "court" thing, she tells you that I'm coming from a long way away, and it takes a long time for me to get a "ticket". She said that you are very excited to meet us, and that she feels you will accept us right away. When the time comes, she wants us to arrive on a Saturday, have Sunday to rest, and then we'll get to meet you on Monday. She believes that you'll want to come with us right away on Monday. For some kids the parents will visit a few times before they take the child with them, but she doesn't think you'll want to do that. Her opinion is that you'll be wanting to stay with us from the start. She thinks you'll only need a few weeks here in the USA before you'll want to start school. Over and over she kept stressing how smart you are, and said that we'll want to have you assessed by the school, as you are in kindergarten now, and will more than likely be ready for first grade. She called you a "non-stop dancer" ... If there is music going, you have to be moving. She also warned me that you are moody. Not the tantrum kind of moody ... more the sniff and pout if things don't go your way. I'm thinking you get that from me.
She feels that 5 days in India is the perfect amount of time, as you will be anxious to get on the plane to come back here to America and see your new home and meet your sisters. Vijay explained that you'll be sad the first few days as you will be missing everyone in India, but she believes that you'll settle in very quickly here. She stressed that where you are living is not typical of an orphange, in that it is not an institution. The caregivers give you lots of love and affection, and its like a huge family. There are 22 kids in your adoption house right now, and 23 in the other adoption house.
The phone call was over way too fast. The other mother on the line had lots of questions too, and Vijay tried to answer all questions pertaining to both her little girl and to you too. At the end of the conversation she asked if there was anything that she wanted me to pass on to you. I asked her to reassure you that we'll be there as fast as we can, and to give you a big kiss and a huge cuddle from me, and to tell you that we love you so much.
I hope you know how loved you are. Vijay feels that things are moving more quickly in the courts now, and shes hopeful that we're just a few short weeks away from guardianship.
I love you bunches.
Adopting from India - The long and winding road....
Making the decision to have a child is momentous. It is to decide forever to have your heart go walking around outside your body. ~Elizabeth Stone
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment