Adopting from India - The long and winding road....

Making the decision to have a child is momentous. It is to decide forever to have your heart go walking around outside your body. ~Elizabeth Stone

Thursday, January 18, 2007

Molly saves the day...

Miss Molly gets the hero of the year award. I took a bad tumble down the stairs, and she was just incredible. She got a huge fright, but still managed to keep it together and go get the phone for me. Dad was at work, and everyone else was still sleeping. I got up to let the dog out, as she was barking downstairs. I still don't know what I slid on (given my accident-prone history, probably NOTHING), but I do know that I didn't stop falling until I was at the bottom of the stairs and couldn't fall any further. I knocked the wind right out of myself. Poor Molly, only a couple of steps behind me, was at my side in seconds. She kept asking if I was ok, and being unable to breathe, and therefore unable to talk, I gave her a thumbs up and my best attempt at a reassuring smile. It felt like forever before I get a breath in, and then when I did, it sounded so weird.

I tried Dad on his work line, and no reply. His cell phone... still no reply. Work line again ... Nothing. The furtherest I could get myself was onto my hands and knees, and then I got stuck. Couldnt move from there. There I am in my satiny shiny robe, butt-naked underneath, and I'm stranded. I phoned the main line for Dads work, and asked the receptionist to send Dad home right away. Molly was keeping an eye out the window for Dad, and let me know that our neighbour was outside shovelling snow off his driveway. Now, for as much as I like our neighour, I really didn't want him seeing my naked ass hanging out the back of my robe, so I suggested we give Dad just a couple more minutes. Luckily he arrived right after that. He managed to get me to the couch, and by then I was so sore I wasn't sure what hurt worse ... my back or my front. He decided a trip the ER was in store, so off we went.

The Dr there was really nice. First thing he offered me was something for the pain, and some anti-inflammatories. Two needles in my butt later, and I was feeling ok. Morphine is a wonderful thing. By the time they got me to X-ray, I was at least able to move around a little. Luckily there is nothing broken or cracked. Just a bunch of pulled muscles, and some really impressive bruising. I now have the next week off work, and some pain meds to keep me company. He also gave me some muscle relaxers that make it feel like I don't even belong in my body, which works for me, as my body is somewhere it hurts to be right now. Now on top of the soreness, I'm all stiff as well. The bruising is really starting to come out now, so I'm hoping I'm over the worst of it.

Still no positive news on the adoption front. It seems this delay with the new judge arriving on our court date could push us back as far as March. Obviously we're hoping for something a lot sooner. I'm still checking the court lists every day, just on the off-chance this judge should squeeze us onto the docket. So far, he hasn't.

Well, time for me to go lay my bruised butt back down on the couch. Luckily Dad doesnt have to be back at work until Monday, so I get to have some rest. The girls have all been so wonderful at fetching and carrying for me. As soon as I'm better, I'm going to take them somewhere as a treat, just as a huge thank you for being so good.

I miss you bunches ... and love you even more than that.

No comments: