Sir Benjamin-Rashid has spent the last couple of days throwing his weight around the house (all 48lbs of it), as he tries to work out what does and doesn't work around here. He's been a full on bag of mischief, and sniffs and pouts when things don't go his way. On one hand I think its a good thing that he feels comfortable enough to push the limits ... the downside though is with the lack of communication discipline is a hard one. He's definitely taking turns pushing my buttons and also his Dads. I think he's looking for a much bigger reaction than he's actually getting, but I don't know if thats a good thing. I know all the experts and all the books say not to engage in power struggles, but I'm finding that with a 6yr old they're kinda hard to avoid. The fact that he's so smart adds to his mischief ... like tonight when I asked him to put his shoes away - I know he knows (and he knows that I know he knows) what shoes are, yet he made a big deal of picking up everything else he could find to pick up, while totally avoiding his shoes. Me standing there trying to look all staunch and serious while pointing to his shoes didnt phase him one bit. Realising he was out of stuff to pick up, he grabbed his shoes, threw them where the shoes go, and grinned at me.
Him and Georgia also got into it tonight big time, and we bordered on another huge meltdown. She was on the computer and he was smacking the keyboard really hard and totally ignoring her as she was asking him over and over to stop. In the end she pushed the laptop away from him and he threw a fit that saw him slide off the chair and under the table. He proceeded to cry and sob, and it was a lucky distraction that saved us from another crying marathon. The distraction came in the form of a book from his Aussie Auntie Michelle in Florida that is just too cute! After he'd settled down we read it another 3 times, and then all was fine in his world. His latest is that when he gets upset he tries to make himself gag, and has thrown up a couple of times over the last couple of days. I'm 100% sure its an attention-grabber for him, as we've made it to the bathroom every time, and in between his crying episodes (and he only cries when things aren't going his way), hes not one bit sick. I'm definitely putting this at the top of the list as far as things I hope he ceases to do very soon. Everything else I can deal with, but I hate puke with a passion. I'm not a puker, and seeing someone else do it has me gagging too. With his crying episode tonight he started pushing out the gagging sound and a VERY firm No made him stop it. By all means, puke if you are sick, but don't just puke because you can. NOT cool at all.
I had a long and lovely conversation with the principal at the school he'll be attending in the fall. I was pretty concerned about this this chat was going to go, as I'd previously came to blows with a receptionist who was adamant that because of his age he'd have to go into first grade. I'd tried to explain to her that while he's 6yrs old on paper, that emotionally and physically he's a lot younger than 6. Luckily the principal completely agreed with my logic and is happy for him to start kindergarten in the fall. She's also cool with my request to have him and Maddie in the same class. Given the abandonment issues he has going on, I believe it will be hugely reassuring for him to be able to see his sister there in the same class. Add to that, that half a day is plenty long enough for him to be away from me, and volunteering is even easier with both kids in the same class!! He's keen to start school, but I'm not sure that he realises yet that school means being away from home for a few hours a day.
He has another loose tooth, and with the way he's been wiggling at it I'm sure the tooth fairy will be paying us another visit very soon. This time its one of his top ones, and I'm sure that cute smile of his will be even cuter. He went with his Dad today to the Barbers, but refused a haircut, so we'll try that again another day. At this stage I just want to get it tidied up around the edges until its long enough to cut it into something cute. He's still sporting what I affectionately refer to as the "orphan hairdo". All the kids had their hair cut the same way, even the younger girls.
All things considered, he's adjusting to his new life really really well. He definitely brings that "boy" energy to the house, and every day his English gets better and better (even if sometimes he'd like to pretend like its not). Vijay was very accurate in his description of him, as he absolutely sniffs and pouts when things aren't going his way ....
I do believe he gets that off me.
Adopting from India - The long and winding road....
Making the decision to have a child is momentous. It is to decide forever to have your heart go walking around outside your body. ~Elizabeth Stone
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment