Adopting from India - The long and winding road....

Making the decision to have a child is momentous. It is to decide forever to have your heart go walking around outside your body. ~Elizabeth Stone

Sunday, April 15, 2007

Tooth Fairy AND a Birthday Party!

This kid is a sponge. It only took once for him to "let one rip" and for me to point at him and say "You farted", and now anytime anyone lets one go, he's right on it with an enthusiastic "YOU FARTED" at the top of his lungs. Even if we all know full well that it came out of him, he'll argue the point just because he can!

Earlier this week Ben lost a tooth! As best I can tell this is the 3rd tooth he's lost, but quite possibly the first time the tooth fairy has ever visited. It had been very wiggly for a couple of days and Nani got the honour of hauling it out. He ran to the mirror to check out his new smile, but then wanted to throw the tooth down the drain! We showed him how to put it in a glass on the window sill and tried to explain that the tooth fairy would bring money. I don't think he fully grasped it, but was pretty stunned to see cash in the glass that had contained his tooth when he got up in the morning. He loved the cash so much he ran up to Nani and tried to convince her to pull out another one. Gotta love that logic. He's definitely a smart one!

His greencard arrived in the mail this week, so he's all legal! Next step is finalising the adoption here in our state. It was kinda heartbreaking to look at the photo on his card .... he's changed so much in just 3 short weeks!

Ben's 6th birthday is tomorrow, so we celebrated today. He's had the swing of singing Happy Brithday for a few days, but I don't think he realised that today would be the day we had his party. Because he still gets overwhelmed with big groups of people we kept it really small with just family. He loved his Spiderman cake, and it was pretty cute to watch him trying to work out what to do with the candles. Once he grasped that he was to blow them out he was all huge smiles as everyone clapped and cheered. Once the cake and icecream were done, he thought the party was all done and went happily back outside to play. When we were ready to do pressies he opened the first one and just wanted to leave it at that. It was a Spiderman mask and other cool toys all in one box. He wanted that box opened immediately, while I tried to convince him to go ahead and open the next one. He was like no way .. I want to keep this one! It took a bit to convince him that they were ALL for him, but once that penny dropped it was the fastest gift opening I've ever seen. He went from one bag to the next and kept saying over and over "Oh, wow ...Oh wowww....OH WOW". I really do think he's had the best day ever, and was still singing "Happy Birthday to me" when it was time for bed tonight.

Now when I tell him "I love you", he replies with "I love you very much". He's just such a sweet and affectionate little boy ... loves his kisses and cuddles, and is working out that even the most minor of injuries will score you some attention when you let out a loud "Ow!". He's also mastered the art of telling on his sisters... Every little thing that happens he's saying "Mummy" ... followed by a long story in Hindi. If I repeat what I think has happened in English, he gives his head the cutest little Indian head-bob, and says "Ha", then its back off to play happily.

I managed a few photos of him enjoying his day today ..... He's truly our little super-hero!

No comments: