Adopting from India - The long and winding road....

Making the decision to have a child is momentous. It is to decide forever to have your heart go walking around outside your body. ~Elizabeth Stone

Monday, September 24, 2007

Monday, Monday...

I'm buggered. For the last 6 weeks I've been working Friday/Saturday/Sunday, with at least one other half shift thrown in on an evening. (Usually I work around 3 days a week on J's days off, but given he works a four on/four off rotation, those days often fall through the week, not always on weekend. Because he's on light duty right now thanks to blowing his kneecap to smithereens during a training accident way back in early August, his only days off are Fri/Sat/Sun). That means I get NO downtime at all. During the week right now its the madness of getting everyone ready for school and all the fun stuff assosciated with after-school activities, and come the weekend its my turn to work.

Was it really just a few weeks ago that I was stressing about what I was going to do with an entire half-day to myself?? I seriously need to work on my math skills! I get the two oldest out the door by 6.45am, the next out the door at 7.55am ... then I entertain the two youngest all morning until I have to drop them at kindergarten at 12.30pm. Depending on how clingy Ben is feeling I stay anywhere from 5 minutes to half an hour. On a good day I'm on my way back home by 12.45pm. The big kids get back in the door at 2.15pm. Thats 90 minutes that I have to myself. How on earth I got the notion that 90 minutes equalled half a day, I have no idea! My 90 minutes of child-freedomness (is that even a word?) are barely enough time to tidy up the morning mess, throw a load of laundry on, run the vacuum around the downstairs and put a fresh pot of coffee on.

No wonder I'm tired.

I love it though. The craziness that is, not the tiredness. The non stop action around here is entertainment at its best. With this many kids there is never a dull moment.

Speaking of which .... its gone awfully quiet. .... The kinda quiet that sets off the Mummy-radar. Best I go check on Ben and Maddie!

No comments: