Adopting from India - The long and winding road....

Making the decision to have a child is momentous. It is to decide forever to have your heart go walking around outside your body. ~Elizabeth Stone

Monday, October 23, 2006

No Vegemite??


Life last night was stressful ...but in a different kind of way. Never mind the training, the tests, or the adoption stress ...this was something new. Apparently right up there with all the current political worries like North Korea and missles, Iraq, Iran, Bird Flu etc ...is VEGEMITE! I have officially heard it all! Kim Jong Il is lining up the West Coast ...but nearly as important, Vegemite is now banned from the USA. For the Americans who read this who are all scratching their heads right now and wondering what vegemite is ...this is like being banned forever from Mac and Cheese...or peanut butter ...or pumpkin pie. We're talking about something that everyone from my end of the planet has enjoyed since childhood.

I spent last night frantic, searching online for some scource of legal vegemite... (being the law abiding girl that I am) ... with no luck at all. This morning, I placed a few calls, and am now the proud owner of 10 travel tubes of the brown stuff! (albeit somewhat "brown" market" ... (and NO, I don't want to talk about how much it cost me). Meanwhile, Sue is phoning every Indian Market/English/Aussie store in the greater Portland Metro Area. This is damage control, Down Under style.... and my credit card might never be the same. I mean, I'm away from home, I have a child hundreds of miles away, I'm stressed with tests, and I'm PMS'ing.... Need I say more... other than "Just give me my frigin VEGEMITE!"!

This is the kinda news that makes me want to pack up my pumpkin pieless life and move back to where real news matters.

No comments: