Adopting from India - The long and winding road....

Making the decision to have a child is momentous. It is to decide forever to have your heart go walking around outside your body. ~Elizabeth Stone

Thursday, May 03, 2007

It doesn't feel like its been nearly two weeks since I updated this. Maybe thats because I think of doing it so often that it actually feels like I've done it, or maybe its because life is a bit of a blur around here somedays ... Either way here I am!

Ok ...where to start ...

Maddie and Ben are now into a great routine with pre-school. They love school, and school loves them. I was worried about Ben being sad at me leaving, but turns out there was nothing to worry about there. Maddie is the one asking if I can stay a little longer, and Ben is waving happily while saying "Bye". So much for stressing about that, eh? He's settling into school beautifully and having no problems communicating with the teachers and the other kids. So far they've had the police come for a visit and he came home with a cool bag of goodies. Several of the police officers have kids that attend there, so he thinks its great that he gets to see them several times a week. Its weird how this place ended up with a bunch of kids from law enforcement and other emergency response families ...I guess we all think the same. He's now writing his name in English, and singing the "clean-up" song (thanks to Barney) anytime its time to get tidied.

He freaked at the vacuum cleaner last week, and then decided it was the coolest toy in the house. I wonder how long that'll last? He also helped his Dad mow the lawn (once he got over the shock of the noise). Mowing the yard turned into a 3 hour excercise thanks to Bens help, so that was pretty cute. Anything thats going on, he just wants to help out. He's still coughing up a storm, so it was back to the Dr. We tried some antibiotics, but he upchucked those every time we gave them to him, so its back to square one.

He's now progressed from baths to showers, and thats a kodak moment all in itself. Hes like a puppy ..he shakes, he shivers, he bites at the water, and he shakes his little booty while whooping with excitement the whole time hes in there. This boy is a clean freak ...its all body-wash, followed by lotion and cologne. He's going to give the girls a run for their money over bathroom time as they all get older. He had is first haircut since coming yesterday and it was just too cute. We went to the Barbers, where they have big-screen TV, popcorn and a massage follows the haircut. Watching him sit proudly in that chair checking out every snip of the scissors was just awesome. He was literally beaming! He felt so special and looked just too cute. When they started with the massager he got all giggly. Once we were home the girls all made a big fuss, and I caught him several times sneaking peeks at his new hairdo in the mirror.

He's still pushing all of my buttons as he tests the boundaries. I think its a great thing that he feels comfortable enough to be so defiant, yet he cant stand for me to be grumpy with him. Just today he drew all over the couch in pen (yeah, I know .... I did well not to totally lose it, and Resolve did take it out) ..so I explained to him that we only drew on paper and got pretty stern about it. His answer was to grin at me and then head for the couch again with a pen. I stood him right in the corner facing the wall after a very stern "No", and then he got all pissy with me. I tried to explain that what he did was naughty, but that it didnt change that I love him lots and he didnt want to hear a word of it. He took himself upstairs, threw himself on his bed and pulled the covers over his head ..... This seems to be his answer anytime things arent going his way. For once I didnt follow him up there, and he was back down a short time later all smiles again. He did however pull a pen out of the drawer and tell me "Only paper" ..to which I agreed, so at least he knew what I was upset about.

My Mum flew home at the start of the week, and he's definitely been clingier since then. I think he thought that she just belonged here too, and its been a hard one to explain. All in all hes doing better with it than I thought he would, but he's definitely keeping tabs on where I'm at. He's even checking in when I go use the bathroom, and when he wakes up on the morning he's cruising into my room to make sure I'm still there.

Since I last wrote we've had both Georgia's and his Grandpas birthdays. I'm sure he thinks its not a normal week around here unless theres candles and a birthday cake, and every time he thinks its for him. He sings "Happy Birthday Ben-Ju-Mon" at the top of his happy little lungs.

I'm glad he feels like most days its his birthday ...He deserves it.

No comments: