Today was a good day.
He was very smoochy all day long, and fought off his sisters with a valiant "MY Mummy"... Him and Georgia got into a face-off where it became apparent he fights like a 13 yr old girl. He can smirk, roll eyes and pull faces with the best of teenage expression. It was actually VERY funny! She resorted to telling him "I know where you sleep" ....and his answer can't be repeated (or translated!) ... I think it was something along the lines of "I'm holding my mother, I'm 10ft tall AND bulletproof, and I am SO not afraid of your pimply face!". Thats my interpretation, and I'm sticking to it.
I had so badly wanted to believe the "Nay bolo" sound wasn't anything x-rated, and with some translation help from my new best online friend Linzi , it would appear he is only saying "Don't speak!" ... a more sophisticated request of what I'm tempted to tell his sisters at least several times a day. I've never actually met Linzi face to face, but I have a feeling we'll be in touch on a regular basis as my little dudes English improves.
On the flip side, hes taking out of the English language the things he likes the most. Courtesy of my Mum being here, (aka Nani), he says G'Day Mate in an accent that would have made Steve Irwin proud. He also finds great joy in the occasional "Sheet", adding credibility to Sue's theory that the S-word was something these kids had heard in the orphanage.
His owie from being thrown off the scooter is looking much better tonight ..and it hasn't slowed him down one bit. He's now worked out that if you lift one foot and glide, its so much more fun! He also tried out the big-wheeler, which is as close to a real bike as I'm ready to let him get right now. Watching him burning rubber up and down the street on that thing, I could feel the grey hairs sprouting by the second.
To look at him today, exploring and loving every second of it, you'd never know that there had been a life before this. I know that every day won't be this way ... espescially not for a long while. Having said that, it was amazing to see it, and I'm sure it was amazing for him to feel it.
He truly is amazing.
Adopting from India - The long and winding road....
Making the decision to have a child is momentous. It is to decide forever to have your heart go walking around outside your body. ~Elizabeth Stone
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
2 comments:
Multiple sources indicate that "sheet" is as mild an expletive in India as darn in the US, whereas bloody is serious, and to me it wouldn't make me twitch at all.
I had to start assuming a completely blank expression to make "sheet" go away (for the most part, unless I say it, and then it unleashes a torrent!)
maybe I can get a new job as the "oh god, what is this kid saying???" hindi translator.
Post a Comment