Adopting from India - The long and winding road....

Making the decision to have a child is momentous. It is to decide forever to have your heart go walking around outside your body. ~Elizabeth Stone

Thursday, March 29, 2007

Plucking petals..

Today feels a lot like the old "he loves me, he loves me not".

All things considered it was a good day. He loves the scooter (aka Motorbike/Cycle). He bit it big time twice and has quite a nice shiner to show for it. We joked about how today would be the day that our social worker showed up to check on us, but no... we're safe for now.

Our day went really well until bath time, at which point he decided he'd rather get back into jeans than pyjamas. After 40 minutes of perseverance on his part, I still wasn't backing down. It was pyjamas or naked.. his choice. Luckily a neighbour came to visit, complete with puppy and the PJ war was forgotten. We are now friends again, and on the 4th stage of the Rosetta Stone English language course ..which of course we worked out together. When he's lovely, he is SO lovely. When he's not...hes well...entitled. In his place, I'd be a little nasty too. For anyone out there who speaks Hindi, his favourite phrase when things aren't going his way is something that sounds like "Nay bolo" ... part of me is sure this is the 5yr old Hindi version of F** You, but the Mommy part of me wants to believe its nicer than that. I looked it up online but without the correct spelling its pretty difficult.. depending on how I spell it, the translation comes back anything from "big fat lump" to "piece of sand" ...NOT helpful. I've decided its not overly complimentary, and when I tell him a firm "Nahi", he gets kinda sheepish which tells me I'm right.

If he would just haul off verbally in English, it would be so much easier to plan my responses! I'm glad for this English language course...even if it doesn't completely cater to my 5 yr olds potty mouth. Any comprehension right now is good... even if it brings words that shouldnt come out of a 5 yr olds mouth. Tonight he spouted off something grand in Hindi, and I asked him... You kiss your Mama with that mouth? ...and I got a kiss.

Enough said.

1 comment:

LinZi said...

nay bolo probably means nahin bolo which is "don't speak" as a command. Hope that helps!