Here I am, at 6.17pm, and it feels like it should be bed time! It was one early start to the day this morning. The alarm was set for 2.30am, and we were out the door by 3.30am to head for the airport. It seems everyone has been heeding the warnings to get there early, as I've never seen the place so busy! Travelling without luggage though has its huge advantages, and I got to skip the huge lines in favour of the automated check-in kiosk.
On the way down I got to sit beside this really neat old gentleman. He was from Arizona, and pointed out all sorts of landmarks on the way down, including his 160 acre ranch just outside of the city. On the other side of him was a lovely lady who was originally from Delhi, who now lives in Santa Barbara. She still has family in Delhi, and was excited to hear that we're visiting there soon to bring you home. She was last there in 2002, and gave me some great tips on things to do while we're there.
Upon arrival in Arizona, I had to phone for a shuttle to take me to the Corporate Center. My first call got me a voicemail suggesting I take some bus to somewhere then go somewhere else which would take me right across the road from the corporate center.... yeaaahhh, I dont think so. I hung up and called back, and this really nice man answered and let me know that he'd meet me at Door 22 just as soon as he could get there. Phoenix airport is HUGE!! I was standing outside door 2 at that point, and was clueless as to where Door 22 would be. I headed back in, and decided to try upstairs. I'm looking around for any door at this point... all I can see is counters and people. First door I found just happened to be Door 22, so that was a big bonus!
At the Corporate Center is was really busy! My morning consisted of filling out a bunch more paperwork, and then heading for a medical. The medical was really thorough .... Eyesight test, hearing test, drug screen, the whole deal. I also had to do 20 squats, squat for 60 seconds, and then carry a 70lb suitcase 25ft using one hand, and then again carrying it like it was a box. After the medical it was off for uniform fittings. After uniform fittings came enrolling for travel benefits, and right after that was getting my photo taken for my ID badge. Next it was back in to go over MORE paperwork, and finally fingerprints. By this point I was sure that I was going to miss my flight back to Portland and get to spend another 4 hours in Arizona, but I JUST made it.
Security at the airports is nuts. Leaving Portland I got the full screening, wand and all. Leaving Phoenix I caught the eye of some weedy little security dude who put me in this new electronic box that puffs air on you and tests for explosive residue. I was holding my skirt tight for that one!! Even after that, I still got hauled aside and got the wand treatment yet again. I suppose I should feel special. There I was running late for my flight, trying to do my strappy shoes back up, while not flash boobs and ass to the entire airport. Today was a reminder as to why I don't often wear skirts OR heels...
I snoozed a little on the flight back, ...Not enough to actually feel refreshed .. Just enough to make me want more sleep. It will be one very early night in this house tonight!
Still no updates on court dates. The 15th there is Independence Day, and I believe the 16th is a holiday too (I just can't pronounce or spell it). Things aren't looking good for guardianship this week.
Today is also a special day .... It's my Grandads birthday. I wish you could have met him... He was an amazing man. I'm sure he's up there keeping a close watch over you until we can be there with you!
Love you so much!
Adopting from India - The long and winding road....
Making the decision to have a child is momentous. It is to decide forever to have your heart go walking around outside your body. ~Elizabeth Stone
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment