Adopting from India - The long and winding road....

Making the decision to have a child is momentous. It is to decide forever to have your heart go walking around outside your body. ~Elizabeth Stone

Wednesday, August 09, 2006

What a day its been here! I woke up this morning, and the desktop computer was showing this bright blue screen with "Fatal Error" and a whole bunch of other stuff on it. I messed with it, and looked up the error message online, but couldnt find a way to fix it. I have no idea where the original discs are, but its looking like I need to search them out and start over....

I also got a phone call today from the airlines. I only filled out the background papers and Dad dropped them back at the airport last night. The lady I spoke to was really nice, and asked me if I could go to Arizona for a day next week! I fly out on Monday morning at 5.30am (ick!). Its for some pre-employment thing, and apparently they'll do a physical, take my fingerprints, measurements for uniforms, photo for ID badge and all that happy stuff. There was no mention as to how soon they can send me for training, but I hope its really soon so I can have all of that out of the way before we come get you! She said that flight benefits become active 2 weeks after date of hire, so its looking like theres a really strong chance we'll be saving a few thousand on airfares to India! I just don't know how smart it is flying standby out of India, so probably a good thing to have the money saved just in case we find ourselves needing to buy tickets. I can't believe I'm going to Arizona for the DAY. Monday will be one very early start, as I'll need to be away from here by 4am at the latest. I was really honest with them about your adoption, and they said the only place they can see us running into trouble is if the call comes to come and get you, the same time they need to send me for training. I debated not turning the paperwork in until we knew more, but have come to the conclusion that no one can tell me anything, so just went ahead with the job thing. Obviously if we get the call letting us know we can come and get you, then there's no question as to where I'll be going!! The training period is six weeks in total, where I'll be working full-time hours. A week in Arizona, then a week at the airport here, then back to Arizona for another week, etc. After the six weeks I get to cut it back to part time hours and can start swapping shifts etc to make things work with Dads schedule. Pretty exciting stuff, eh?!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I think it's wonderful how this has all worked out so that you had the bulk of the summer with your family and can begin training in sync with the "back-to-school" time. Do you suppose your training period will be extended in the light of this morning's terrorist developments? It seems there is no end to the creativity of the terrorist mind.