Adopting from India - The long and winding road....

Making the decision to have a child is momentous. It is to decide forever to have your heart go walking around outside your body. ~Elizabeth Stone

Friday, March 03, 2006

This is why I don't work full-time...

I feel like I've been living at work the last couple of weeks. Sharon had a pooping crisis, so I got to cover her hours (I really must learn to say No, ...without feeling guilty for saying no) Soooo.....all because Sharon couldnt poop, I got to deal with all the after-Valentines Day returns and exchanges. (Can you see I'm blaming Sharon here?)

People can be so ungrateful sometimes! Women coming in and complaining about their significant others choice in gifts ... How about feeling lucky that you got anything at all?? I just wish they could see the amount of people we have in that store "just looking" who would give anything to have someone take the time to choose a gift for them..

Christmas is even worse... Working retail the week before Christmas requires the patience of a Saint, .... Now in case I didnt mention it before now, I work in the jewellery industry.

I'm sure that if people can't get an appointment with their shrink, they just come talk to us ... Between December and February every year, it really feels like we see it ALL... Sometimes its funny, ...and sometimes its sad...

We see people when they're getting engaged ...Life is magical, and they're so busy gushing at each other they can't even make a decision on the ring. Countless brides here are wearing rings that I've personally selected for them, ... But then, its my job, so no worries, eh? Engagement ring couples are right up there among my favourite types of customer....

Then comes the wedding bands. Oh, how much easier it would be if people would just make the decision on whether or not HE is going to wear a ring, BEFORE they go shopping. Some of the nastiest arguments I've seen have been over this very topic. The first few times it was worrying ... then it got to be entertaining...and now its just old. I wish they'd just outside and fight and quit wasting my time ...or better yet, save everyone the stress, prevent the scene in the store, and COMMUNICATE .... Its good to get into the habit of talking to the person you're going to spend the rest of your life with ....

We see them when they have a baby..cause inevitably they bring it in to show us. Now unlike alot of other people in this industry, I personally have no problem with this. I've always been a sucker for a cute baby. In fact, I'd rather stand there and play with their cute baby than do anything else! haha...

We see them when they get divorced...cause one of them will be back in there seeking advice on the most financially rewarding way to get rid of the rings. Can we all spell E-B-A-Y? Its my job to sell it to them, and no...in case you're wondering I'm really not that interested in buying it back again.

I'm known for being pretty straight to the point. I actually had a man come in once and tell me that he was looking for something for his girlfriend, .. (who happened to be a different lady from the one he was married to!) I was feeling a little cheeky so I mailed a Thank You card to his home address. He was back in there a few days later buying yet another gift ... His wife had opened the card and thought she'd ruined a surprise. I overcharged that man something terrible the 2nd time around .. and he completely deserved it!

It seems the older I get, the harder it is to keep my thoughts to myself. Part-time is good for me, because I can bite my tongue and be nice to rude people for a few days ... but by the time I hit day four, its getting really hard to stay quiet sometimes. By that point I'd rather just be hanging out here at home with your sisters...

I hope we do a good job of raising you and your sisters to be respectful and appreciative. I look at some of the people I get to deal with at work, and really wonder what their parents were thinking ... It's not hard to say Please, or Thank you ... nor is it difficult to be courteous and respectful ... Your 3 year old sister has better manners than some of the grown-ups I get to deal with.....

No comments: